What do I need to use iTunes U?
You need to download the most current version of the iTunes software. Downloads are available for both Windows and Macintosh.
Do I need an iPod to use iTunes U?
- No, you do not need an iPod to use iTunes U.
- If you do have an iPod or other portable media device, the files
from iTunes U can be transferred to the hardware using whatever
software you used previously.
- No portable media device (including iPod) is required at all. All
of the multimedia files can be played using the iTunes software
directly on your Windows or Macintosh system.
- Once downloaded within iTunes, the content can be found within the
iTunes folders on your system. Within the iTunes folder, you will see a
folder for "iTunes Library."
Where can I download iTunes?
You can download the most current version of iTunes from http://www.apple.com/itunes/download. You will need iTunes in order to be able to view the iTunes U site in the Apple Store.
Do you need a password to log into iTunes U?
NOVA on iTunes U is an open system; no login or password is required. All content within this system is freely available.
If I am unable to access iTunes U, what do I do?
If you are unable to access iTunes U, be sure that you have done the following three things on your system.
- Be sure that you have an active connection to the Internet.
- You must have iTunes installed to access iTunes U.
- Your browser must be configured to accept "itmss://" links and to associate those links with the iTunes software.
What do I do when iTunes does not open and there is a popup window with an "External Protocol Request" message?
If iTunes is installed on your machine, but you are unable to access
iTunes U using Firefox, and you see a blank popup page with 'External
Protocol Request' in the title after logging into iTunes U, you will
need to follow these steps in order to tell Firefox to launch iTunes.
- Open a new tab or window in Firefox
- Type itmss:// in the address bar
- You should get a External Protocol Request dialog that shows the
choices "Launch Application" and "Cancel" along with a checkbox to
"Remember my choice for all links of this type."
- Check the box next to Remember my choice for all links of this type.
- Click the Launch Application button.
What do I do when iTunes does not open and there is nothing asking me to launch application?
If you are using Firefox and iTunes does not open AND you do not see
the 'External Protocol Request' error, you will need to do the
- Open a new Firefox tab or window
- In the address bar, type about:config.
- When the list of configuration properties comes up, type itms into the "Filter" text field and hit Enter.
- You'll see one or more of these four items:
- The first two, if they exist, should be set to true, the second two
to false. You should be able to just double-click on the "true/false"
entry to toggle the value.
What do I need to know to create a podcast for iTunes U?
Apple provides an overview on creating podcasts for iTunes U here: http://images.apple.com/support/itunes_u/docs/iTunes_U_Creating_Content.pdf.
Are there any support materials about how to use the iTunes software?
Apple provides an overview of the iTunes software here: http://www.apple.com/support/ipod101/tunes/.
What are the Windows Requirements?
- 32-bit editions of Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Vista
- 4-bit editions of Windows Vista
- 500 MHz Pentium class processor or better
- QuickTime 7.1.6 or later (included)
- 256MB RAM
- Supported CD-R or DVD-R drive to burn CDs
- Broadband Internet connection (DSL/Cable/LAN) for buying and streaming music
- Additional Video Requirements
- 2GHz Pentium class processor or better
- 512MB RAM
- 32MB video RAM