Future Students - FAQ

View the most commonly asked questions from prospective and new students by clicking on the specific question below.

How can I get my questions answered by current students?

Still have questions? Contact us.

Do I have to provide my Social Security number on college forms?

Your Social Security number is not required. NOVA provides all students with a new Student ID through NOVAConnect that is used for registration and as a student identifier. Failure to provide a Social Security number, however, may limit or delay access to services where the number is required by federal or state law (e.g., tax reporting, financial aid).

How can I get a copy of the College Catalog?

You can visit any campus bookstore and pick up a College Catalog or you can view the College Catalog online. You can also request that a copy be mailed to you for $2.75 by calling the Annandale Campus Bookstore at 703.323.3185.

What is the phone number for NOVANet?

703.323.3770 or 703.330.3770 for Prince William County

How can I find out if a class is full?

Log in to NOVAConnect and complete a class search. The number of seats available will be included in the information.

How do I view the application form?

The application form is available online and as a hard copy print out in PDF format. You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the PDF version. Download Adobe Acrobat for free.

Can I get my grades online?

Yes! You can view your grades through NOVAConnect. There is an online tutorial to help you with the steps. You can also obtain your grades by calling NOVANet at 703.323.3770 (select option 2). If you live in Prince William County, call 703.330.3770.

How can I get a copy of my transcripts?

Request a free copy of your transcripts:

  • Through NOVAConnect
  • By completing the Request for Transcript Form
  • By fax
    • Alexandria: 703.845.6046
    • Annandale: 703.323.3367
    • Loudoun: 703.404.7304
    • Manassas: 703.257.6565
    • Medical: 703.822.6622
    • Woodbridge: 703.878.5692
  • In writing. On a plain piece of paper, include the following:
    • "Request for Transcript"
    • Your full name
    • Your Social Security number or Student ID
    • The address where each transcript is to be sent
    • Your home and work telephone numbers
    • The number of copies desired
    • Your signature

Mail your written request to the Student Services Center at your home campus.

  • Alexandria Campus: 3001 North Beauregard Street, Alexandria, VA 22311-5097 -- 703.845.6333
  • Annandale Campus: 8333 Little River Turnpike, Annandale, VA 22003-3796 -- 703.323.3400
  • Loudoun Campus: 1000 Harry Flood Byrd Highway, Sterling, VA 20164-8699 -- 703.450.2501
  • Manassas Campus: 6901 Sudley Road, Manassas, VA 20109-2399 -- 703.257.6620
  • Medical Campus: 6699 Springfield Center Drive, Springfield, VA 22150-1913 -- 703.822.6500
  • Woodbridge Campus: 15200 Neabsco Mills Road, Woodbridge, VA 22191-4099 -- 703.878.5734

Are my school records private?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that protects student records. Under this law, parents and students have the right to inspect and review a student's records and request that a school correct records they believe are misleading. Schools must also receive written permission from the parent or student in order to release student record information under most conditions. Learn more.

Is it possible to register online for classes?

Yes, you can register for classes with NOVAConnect.

Will NOVA give me an email account?

Through the Virginia Community College System, NOVA provides all registered students with an email account. Students are also set up with a location to publish personal Web pages. You can access to the Web on campus, in most computer labs and in each campus library.

Where can I find more information?

Student Services and the Student Handbook are two excellent information resources for students.